Wednesday, March 16, 2016

No F's In Fashion



Can wearing a certain type of clothing help someone perform better on a test? According to recent studies done by California State University, the answer is yes. In many cases, students prefer to wear clothing that they feel comfortable in like a sweatshirt on test day. However, that may be one of the causes of students getting low test scores.

The study compared the test scores of sixty undergraduate students and the formality of their outfits. The students were asked to complete a ten question test that looked for whether students answered questions abstractly or concretely. The conclusion was that students wearing fancier and more formal clothes chose answers that were more abstract. Basically, this means that it is better to dress up for a test that is less formulaic and more abstract. Also, wearing “fancier” clothes tends to give people a confident vibe, resulting in better test scores as well. So, next time you have a test in English try swapping out sweats for a dress. A smaller study by Nautilus suggests dressing down when you have a test on something more detail-oriented. Next time you have a detailed test in history, don’t be afraid to throw on a sweatshirt.

While dressing up might not be the best strategy for math tests, this may help out students in more “abstract” classes and on more open-ended type question tests. For a math or engineering test it is found that students who dress down and more comfortable tend to perform better. An outfit can’t guarantee you an A, though, so it’s still good to do at least some studying. Sometimes little changes can result in big, positive things. Overall, there is no harm in changing up outfits especially if it can help a test grade.

20 comments:

  1. I whole-heartedly agree. Last year, when I took a test for my National Boards, I dressed in a skirt and Brooks Bros. blouse instead of rolling out of bed and wearing sweats. I passed. Dress for success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this really interesting. I'll keep it in mind for my next test :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really dress up for tests, and I seem to do fine, but I will definitely try this for my next test.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is super helpful, I've been wrong my entire life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is literally one of the most interesting articles on the website! I'll be sure to check out what I wear more carefully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll dress certain ways for the sake of scientifically proven facts, but when it comes to aesthetic worries, I don't spend too much time thinking about what I wear.

    Unless it's cargo pants. Cargo pants are life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, if people are dressed how they want their future to be, their future will be like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll make sure to dress up for math next week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This may not work for me as being comfy is the only thing that keeps me sane, but I loved the article and who knows? I might just try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really interesting! I'll try dressing for success next time I take a test.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree, if people are dressed how they want their future to be, their future will be like that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree I really like your hook. It made me want to read more

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is super helpful and interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope this works, I'll try this theory sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think that this is really interesting and I will definitely do that on my next test. Does this study just work for English tests?

    ReplyDelete
  16. This will be very helpful for me in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I completely agree, I will dress nice for my tests!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really cool info! I will definitely keep this in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Defiantly keep this in mind because I suck at testing.

    ReplyDelete